Tuesday, August 01, 2006

From Tornado Alley to Hurricane Valley

That is what we did when we moved. From one worry to another. At least with hurricanes you get a few days warning so you can actually leave. Though some choose to stay, and I won't even bother with the logic in that.

Anyway, so because we have lived in these two very active places (mother nature wise), my kids are a bit...how shall I say...SCARED TO FREAKIN DEATH of storms. And today I hear that we have a wonderful Tropical Storm Chris coming our way, should hit us by 1am. Now I experienced TS Denis and TS Cindy last season...they came through at the same time, one on top of us and one on bottom so we got quite a storm. It was scary and loud but it wasn't dangerous. Just a ton of wind, loud thunder, lightening, and buckets of rain. Basically a Texas thunderstorm would have laughed at this storm, but still it was exciting.

Ok back tot he kids...I cannot tell them a TS is headed our way or we will have nervous breakdown, dramatic fainting, talking in tongues--you get the point. So I am quietly trying to go stock up on water for drinking (we have bottles for flushing and washin...if the waves get too bad the island shuts the power and water off), and I just KNOW they will eventually figure it out, but I am hoping that it's not until the storm hits and I can just say "oh it's a thunderstorm, no biggie".

We plan on shutting the hurricane shutters so they won't see the trees blowing or the waves in the lagoon. Ugh! Dramatic kids are so high maintenance!!!!

That's what I should have chosen for names for my kids: Bren is Betty Davis, Jace is Marylin Monroe, and Mase is...hmmm...was there an overly dramatic male actor back in the day????

**UPDATE** The TS turned right before us and we only had rain, wind, and a little thunder. But one thunder was pretty loud and Bren was sound asleep on the futon and I was on the couch (listening) and when she heard it she jumped out of bed (1/2 asleep) but the blanket was wrapped around her feet so she didn't have feet to land on and ended up falling and them rolling across the floor before finally standing up UNDER the table and banging her head. I was laughing so hard I thought I was going to pee my pants. Bren, however, was not...but then when she felt safe she was cracking up. ROFL!

1 comment:

Meemer said...

awe, poor kids! At least you get an exciting storm out of the deal. I hope everything goes okay...